Monday, April 6, 2009

Twittering?

I'm taking this class, called Digital Promotion Management, and I'm learning all this new stuff about stuff that I never knew existed. It is also the reason I have this blog in the first place. Speaking of, I should probably work on updating more frequently to keep up the grade.
Anywho, to the point of this post. Twitter. We've discussed it a lot in class, which was the first time I had ever heard of the social networking site. What is there to this Twitter? I wondered if I should get one, but then thought to myself, "what the heck to I need to twitter about?" We learned it to be a good business/celebrity/promotional device, and I, as an undergraduate not ready to graduate, have nothing to promote, therefore I don't need one.
Then Patrice shot me a text which ordered me to get on Twitter. Just after I had decided I should at least check it out. Hello peer pressure and the desire to be hip and in the know, thank you Patrice.
Thus far, I am following 12 people/twitters/things with one post of my own. Its interesting because it looks as though Twitter requires its own language. As you can see, I do not yet speak the language fluently. I expected it to be similar to my Facebook homepage, with a constant feed of posts. Thus far, however, I am just confused.
Do I need to go to each Twitter-er (?) profile to see their updates? Is there a central location to check everything out? Why won't it let me find people? Why can't I add my phone number?
I feel like my mother the first time she tried to explore Facebook.
Either way, I am twittering. I am in with the new social media promotional tools. I'm sold. Am I hooked? Not yet, but it is an interesting contrast to Facebook and MySpace. I am over MySpace, I use Facebook minimally, is Twitter my next big addiction?

Twitter me, lets find out. BrittBlitz

1 comment:

  1. You know, I've contemplated Twitter but like you all I can think is....what the heck would I twitter about?! Certainly nothing worthwhile...

    Although I WILL say the 50-year-old presenter in my class last month was blown away when I told her I had never heard of it until she presented it to our class....interesting....hahaha.

    ReplyDelete